You must Sign In to post a response.
  • Category: General

Existence of Joint Family System in India

We understand that the nuclear system of family is existing in India but is a good news from the recent census that the joint family system is still present in many parts of India. The survey of Census 2011 depicts the percentage of Joint Family system exists in the following states as below:

U.P - 27, Rajasthan - 25, Haryana - 24.6, Punjab - 23.9, Gujarath - 22.9, Bihar - 20.9, Jharkand - 20.9, Himachal Pradesh - 20, Andhra Pradesh - 10.7,Tamilnadu - 11.2,Pondicherry - 11.4, Kerala - 16.6, Karnataka - 16.2, West Bengal - 15.5, Maharashtra - 17.6, Madhya Pradesh - 17.7,Orissa - 12.32 and Goa - 12.6

Our youngsters are not yet realising the benefit of Joint Family system.
    It is our Indian culture where we value all relationships and hence the joint family system still prevails here. If you go to any other country like USA or UK, you will be surprised to see the culture there. As soon as the children get 14 or 16, they leave their parents and start living an independent life. They do not value the relationships. I believe it is good that we are born in India and know the value of relationships. There are so many benefits:
    1. When you go back home after work, there is someone at home who is waiting for you i.e. your parents.
    2. When you get sick, your parents are there to look after you and vice versa.
    3. Everyone is there with you in your happy and sad times. You do not feel alone.

Apart from these, there are other various benefits also. I am proud that I am born in India.

India is lucky that joint family system is alive even now. Though it may be on the decline in view of the economic pressures forcing some family members to move out and even stay or settle away from the parents or other siblings. While Suinyta has enumerated the benefits of joint family system, I would like to emphasize the cultural contrast in family traditions and values. I remember vividly the happening at Manchester, where a Professor met with an accident and suffered a spinal injury. He was admitted to a hospital but his son did not know about it even after three days though he was working in the same department. On learning about it from an Indian colleague of mine he did not visit the hospital, sent an email to his mother. 'How is John'. 'He is better now.' That was the level of interaction between son and mother. What sort of bonds different members in this family might have developed? We are lucky that still we have joint families and different members care about each other.

• This thread is locked for new responses. Please post your comments and questions as a separate thread.
    If required, refer to the URL of this page in your new post.