The generation before this were taught mathematics starting from scratch and in a phased manner. Even the usage of logarithms tables came only after the 7th standard and now a days the old ways of teaching particularly mathematics such as abacus, the Chinese way of solving mathematical problems is gaining importance.
what does calculator help in
1) Not much of brain activity is required to solve the problem
2) A few touches of buttons gives you the answer
3) Fast and reliable( no need to cross check as done in manual methods)
4) You don't have to think much in the logic of solving the problem
1) It restricts the thinking ability of the child
2) The kid doesn't apply logic and in the absence of this device the child is lost and frustrated
3) Learning and practicing of mathematical problems has gone for a toss
4) Overall it will have an affect on the IQ level of the child
5) The learning of related subjects such as Logic and sciences will get effected adversely.
Students should be encouraged to use the calculators only after they have gone through the learning phase and the time when their brain is active that is upto 17 years. Otherwise we will depend totally on mechanical and electronic instruments even to think rather than using the most advanced machine created by God known as" The Brain"