About Cubbon Park
The Cubbon Park which is located in the heart of the city, which is also a central administrative area was originally in 1884 created by the then Major General Richard Sankey, he was the British Chief Engineer for the state of Mysore.
This gigantic park has covered around 100 acres of land and further later expansions made this park which covers 300 acres now which is around 1.2 km². This park has the large quantity of storage of flora and fauna plantations with numerous quantity of aesthetic buildings surrounded, famous statues of famous personalities.
This park was named as Meade’s Park after Sir John Meade, who was the acting commissioner of then Mysore State in the year 1884, and later renamed as Cubbon Park in the name of the longest serving Commissioner of that time Sir Mark Cubbon, but in 1927 it was again renamed as Sri Chamarajendra Park as a mark in the memory of Sri Chamarajendra Wodeyar the then ruler of princely State of Mysore.
This park consists of natural massive bamboos with flowerbeds with grassy expanse, which is maintained by the state horticulture department, this park also consists of motorable roads with separate walking areas to help morning walkers and joggers. In fact this gigantic park brought the name Garden City to Bangalore.
Cubbon Park – Access
This park is accessible from all sides like M.G.Road, Kasturba Road, Hudson Circle and also from Ambedkar Veedhi, but only light motor vehicles are allowed through this park and all other accessible points are well connected, one can access this park by walk through walking paths, this park is open to all at all times, but the motorable roads will be closed between morning 5 to 8 to ease out traffic to help morning walkers and joggers.
Cubbon Park - Botanical property
Exotic and indigenous variety of species are available in this park for view, there are about 68 genera and 96 species of plants and trees one can see here in total around 60000 plants and trees are available here few among them are artocarpus, cassia fistula, ficus, polyalthias, araucaria, bamboo, castanospermum australe, swietenia mahagoni, millettia, grevillea robusta, peltophorum, schinus molle, tabebuia, etc.
Other ornamental and exotic flowering trees are on the roadside lining in the park they are grevillea robusta (silver oak), the first species of oaks introduced to Bangalore from Australia and the delonix or the gulmohar tree are other types.
Cubbon Park – Other historical buildings and monuments around
From the central hall of the erstwhile Attara Kacheri, which literally means 18 government offices, now has been converted as High Court of Karnataka which has been extended upto Museum building.
Another monumental structure near this is Sheshadri Iyer Memorial Hall, which is now used as Central Library which is having a rose garden in its front. Other buildings around this park includes Indira Priyadarshini Children’s Library, Venkatappa Art Gallery, Aquarium which is considered as second largest in India, YMCA, Yuvanika, the state youth centre, Century Club, Press Club, Jawahar Bal Bhavan, Tennis Pavilion, Cheshire Dyer Memorial Hall and the Ottawa Chatter.
Cubbon Park – Band stand near
This band stand was constructed in the year 1900 with cast iron, British Royal Air Force was used to play the western style band stand on Saturday evening of that time, the added attraction of this place is an amusement park near Jawahar Bal Bhavan, and an Puttani Express which runs at an speed of 1.2 km with in the park which is the main attraction for children, a doll museum and boating facilities another added attraction here is a 20 million year old fossilized tree which was gifted by the Geological Survey of India.
Other memorabilia’s here are statues of Queen Victoria’s statue which was installed in the year 1906, King Edward VII installed in the year 1919, Major General Sir Mark Cubbon, Sri Cjamarajendra Wodeyar which was installed in the year 1927 and Sir K. Sheshadri Iyer installed in the year 1913 all these statues were installed in front of the different historical buildings which are situated around this Cubbon Park.
Seshadri Iyer memorial hall
This monumental structure was built in the year 1915, this was constructed in the classic European style with Tuscan and Carinthian columns, this was constructed in memory of Sir K. Sheshadri Iyer, who was Dewan of erstwhile princely state of Mysore from 1883 to 1901. This is an very impressive building with red in color with gables. Now this structure is used as Sheshadri Memorial Library, which has an covered area of 300 km², which is governed by the State Library Authorities since 2000.
About Cubbon Park