Karnataka culture and festival
: 40 (
Since I am an Iyengar I would love to share some of the recipes for Krishnajanmashthami which we will be celebrating in couple of weeks. So since its a very grand festival for Iyengars, I would like to teach some of the major recipes. Learn them ,practice them and enjoy your Krishna Janmashtami!
Krishna Janmashthami is a very grand festival where you worship
on his birthday. So as we would have heard stories in our childhood, we get to know that Lord Krishna is a lover of eatables. So it is a age old tradition celebrating janmashthami with lot of mouth watering dishes. Try these, you will love it for sure!
Mysore Pak- Krishnajanmashtami-Iyengar recipes
Ingredients needed for Krishnajanmashtami-Iyengar recipes
Bengal Gram Powder- 1 Cup
Sugar- 2 Cups
Ghee/Vegetable oil- 1 Cup
How to make Krishnajanmashtami-Iyengar recipes
1. Roast the Bengal Gram powder for few minutes till it turns into a little golden-brown color.
2. Take sugar and water in a Khadai and make sugar syrup until it attains ball consistency.
3.After,that add the roasted flour and ghee (half).
4. Cook it for few minutes. Then add the remaining ghee.
5. After few minutes, the mixture starts leaving the Khadai and ghee also separates.At this stage, turn off the stove and transfer the mixture into ghee or oil greased plate.
6. After few minutes, it solidifies little bit. Cut into pieces.
Your delicious Mysore Pak is ready to eat!
Krishnajanmashtami-Iyengar recipes - Kobbari Mithai (Coconut Burfi)
Ingredients need to make Kobbari Mithai
1. Coconut Powder(Kobri) - 2 Cups
2. Icing Sugar (Powdered Sugar)-1 Cup
3. Elachi Powder - 1/4th to 1/2 Tsp (accordingly)
4. Nuts(Badam,Cashew,Raisins,Pista)- Garnishing (Roast all except raisins)
5. Ghee-2 Tbsp
6. Milk- 2 Tbsp
How to make Gobbari Mithai
1. Mix Coconut powder and sugar according to the given proportion in a bowl. Keep it aside for about 1/2 an hour until sugar melts. Then mix the batter thoroughly.
2. Heat the Khadai and add 1 Tbsp of ghee.Then add the batter,milk and cook it for some time i.e. for about 20 minutes.
3. After it starts leaving the Khadai and ghee comes out, turn off the stove.
4. Grease the plate with remaining ghee,add the batter and cut it into pieces after some time.
Krishnajanmashtami-Iyengar recipes - Chikki(Groundnut Burfi)
Ingredients needed to make Chikki
1.Peanuts (roasted)- 1 Cup
2.Jaggery powdered- 1 Cup
3. Ghee- 1/4 Tsp
4. Cardamom Powder- 1/4 Tsp
5. Water- 1/2 Cup
How to make Chikki
1. Take Jaggery in a pan and add water till the jaggery is soaked completely in water.
2. Then make a thick jaggery syrup. Put the syrup in the water. it must form form a perfect drop.
3. Add the roasted peanuts,cook for 2 minutes and transfer the mixture into ghee greased plate.
4. Cut into pieces after some time.
Krishnajanmashtami-Iyengar Khara Recipes
Krishnajanmashtami-Iyengar recipes - Chakli
Ingredients needed to make Krishnajanmashtami-Iyengar recipes - Chakli
1. Rice Flour - 3 Cups
2. Gram Flour- 1 1/2 Cup
3. Asafoetida (Hing)-little.
4. Til seeds- 1 Tbsp
5. Butter/Dalda- 4 Tbsp
6. Oil for deep frying
7. Salt to taste.
How to make Chakli
1. Mix all the ingredients in a basin.
2. Add hot water and make like a soft dough.
3. Make chaklis with the hepl of chakli maker.
4. Deep fry the chaklis.
Krishnajanmashtami-Iyengar recipes - Mucchore
Ingredients needed to make Mucchore
1. Rice Flour - 3 Cups
2. Roasted Channa Dal Powder- 2 Cups
3. Om Pudi - 1/2 tsp
4. Red Chilli Powder - 2 Tbsp
5. Ghee/Butter- 4 tbsp
6. Salt to taste
7. Hot Water for mixing.
8. Oil for deep frying
How to make Mucchore
1. Mix all the Ingredients in the basin.
2. Add hot water and knead the dough.
3. Make mucchore's useing the chakli maker.
4. Fry them in heated oil till they turn golden brown.
these are the major recipes that are made during Janmashthami. I have discussed them briefly. Try them and leave your responses.
Poha (Rice Flakes) and Potato Curry - Karnataka Dish Recipe
Saagu Potato - Karnataka Style Recipe
Pooran Poli in Karnataka Style Recipe
North Karnataka Recipe Brijal Curry Delicious Preparation
Karnataka Vangi Bath Recipe Easy Kannada Style Preparation
Best Eating Places in Karwar Karnataka
Some traditional Karnataka Recipes
Traditional Karnataka Recipe
The delicious dishes - Bangalore food guide for Tourists
Bisibelebath Recipe Karnataka Special Food
Read related articles:
Did you like this resource? Share it with your friends and show your love!
Responses to "Krishnajanmashtami-Iyengar recipes"
No responses found. Be the first to respond...
Notify me by email when others post comments to this article.
Do not include your name, "with regards" etc in the comment. Write detailed comment, relevant to the topic.
No HTML formatting and links to other web sites are allowed.
This is a strictly moderated site. Absolutely no spam allowed.
to fill automatically.
(Will not be published, but
to validate comment)
Type the numbers and letters shown on the left.
Subscribe to Email
Get Jobs by Email
Forum posts by Email
Get Articles by Email
Last 7 Days
Awards & Gifts
A tourist in Karnataka?
Useful Kannada Words
Passport Seva Kendra
Regional Passport Office, Bangalore
Looking for helplines?
Bangalore Telephone Directory
GESCOM Customer Care
Copyright © SpiderWorks Technologies Pvt Ltd., Kochi, India
All Rights Reserved.
Click the "Follow" button above to follow Tony John