The Freedom Park, Bangalore, was a central jail previously where freedom fighters were held as prisoners and serves as a tribute to India's freedom fighters. This place was redesigned by architects named Soumitro Ghosh and Nisha Mathew Ghosh.
Shri L.K.Advani inaugurated the Freedom Park. By coincide, Shri L.K.Advani was imprisoned here about 30 years ago during the 1977 emergency imposed by Indira Gandhi who was the Prime Minister of India at that time. Other political leaders like AB Vajpayee, Ramakrishna Hegde and Deve Gowda were also imprisoned here years ago.
The Freedom Park is a theme park with multiple uses. In 2009 it was opened for access to the public. The total area of Freedom Park is about 16 acres. In its premises one can find art galleries and play areas. Freedom Park has a separate jogging track at for the fitness conscious people. Special shows like the light & sound shows are held here for children will also attracts a number of visitors.
Major Attractions at Freedom Park Bangalore
1. The exterior wall of Freedom Park, Bangalore: The exterior wall of Freedom Park is Known as the Freedom Wall. It is blue in color and is quite imposing and is a place to pause and stare. It marks the location of Freedom Park, Bangalore.
2. The Jail section of Freedom Park Bangalore: Here the under-trial inmates can be seen in the Cells Yard. Several of messages & drawings made on the corridor walls can be seen. The Cells Yard's entrance has a gallows structure.
By climbing the old watch tower at Freedom Park one can have a bird's eye-view of the entire Freedom Park. Once, this tower was the Chief Warden's office.
3. The Jail Museum of Freedom Park Bangalore: The Jail Museum was at one time the Central Jail. Today, it can be viewed as an image of the old jails. An art gallery is being built in the area of the two walls which lead to the watch tower.
4. Book Museum and Tree Museum: These museums are being constructed and are in progress. They can be viewed as future tourist spots at Freedom Park Bangalore.
5. Shopping: You will be able to purchase at The Craft Zone at Freedom Park, Bangalore offers traditional crafts and there are many stalls there.
How to Reach
The Freedom Park is located at Sheshadri Road in the Gandhi Nagar area of Bangalore. It can be easily located due to the curved blue wall at the entry gate.
1. You can take a bus going towards Seshadri road from the Majestic bus station, Bangalore and get down from the bus at the turning besides Freedom Park. The SJR College Bus Stop is the nearest bus stop to Freedom Park.
2. Route from KR Circle: From Vidhana Soudha side, when approaching the KR Circle, take a right turn. You will reach the main Seshadri Road. Now keep a watch on your left where a few meters further down the road you will see a big curved blue wall. This wall has an entrance gate to Freedom Park, Bangalore.
3. Freedom Park can also be approached via Race Course road.
There are 2 entry gates to Freedom Park:
1. You can enter via the at the blue Freedom Wall's entry gate at Seshadri Road
2. Another entrance is via the entry gate of Freedom Park at Ramchandra Road.
Address: Freedom Park,
Gandhi Nagar - 560009
Timings: 5a.m. to 8a.m. and 5p.m. to 8p.m.